Appalam kuzhambu recipe with ulundhu appalam or urad dal papads,sharing one of the easy traitional tamil brahmin recipes here on request. Few days back one of my readers Preeti contacted me asking for appalam kuzhambu recipe.In her mail she mentioned-I once tasted a dish in Chennai a kuzhambu kind of stew with papads in it,can you please help me with the recipe. Thanks a lot Preeti for being my regular visitor and initiating this page. This means a lot to me 🙂 Now coming to the recipe,t he only stew with papads I know is appalam kuzhambu recipe, a traditional tamil brahmin recipe.This is something I grew up with.My grand mom and mom often make this and this is one of my favorites too. This is a gem among tamil brahmin recipes. very simple to prepare dish and it is often made when there are no vegetables handy to make vatha kuzhambu or sambar.
There are lots of ariations to this applam kuzhambu recipe,in few homes they add deep fried papad to this kuzhambu just before serving, you can do this if you want to retain the crunchiness of papads, but we always saute the appalam/papad in little oil and add like any other vegetable,this way appalam will be soft,chewy and dds interesting texture to the kuzhambu.
Usually this appalam kuzhambu recipe uses urad dal papad, I have not seen or tasted this kuzhambu with rice papad. Do try this easy appalam kuzhambu recipe and let me know how you liked it.
Appalam kuzhambu recipe details below:
Appalam kuzhambu recipe |Easy tamil brahmin recipes
Appalam kuzhambu recipe,learn how to make appalm kuzhambu, a gem among tamil brahmin recipes,stew made with tamarind and appalm with this easy recipe
- 4-5 urad dal pappads
- 2 teaspoons thick tamrind extract
- 1 small tomato chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons sambar powder
- 2 dried red chilles
- 1 teaspoon toor dal
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 10-12 curry leaves
- In a kadai, add 1 teaspoon oil,temper mustard seeds,fenugreek seeds and red chillies.Add toor dal,asafoetida,turmeric powder and curry leaves.Once tempered,tear the papads into four quarter each and add them
- Saute for just two minutes,papads should not get fried,just the raw smell should go.Add the sambar powder and saute for 1 more minute.
- Now add the tamarind extract,3 cups of water and let it boil.Add salt and continue boiling.The mixture should become quite thick. Once reduced in volume considerably,switch off the heat add the remaining sesame oil and fry well.Serve hot with steamed rice.
Recipe Notes1.You can add a small piece of jaggery if needed
2.Usually my mom doesnt add tomato to this,but I like to add for colour
3.In few homes they use urad dal to temper instead of toor dal
4.If you have any sun dried vegetables like okra or egg plant try adding them with appalam.
This also goes to Priya’s event