Beetroot pulao recipe is one beetroot recipe that even beetroot haters will love. Yes,count me in,I, a big time beetroot hater not only ate this pulao,but enjoyed it thoroughly.If the distinct sweetness of beets in spicy dishes is what putting you off,let me tell you this pulao has no hint of sweetness. Whenever I buy beetroot,I keep it for few days without touching,then end up cooking poriyal/stirfry and I would not even mind eating it.But things slowly changed when I wanted my daughter to eat beets,she did eat beets when I introduced it to her just by boiling and mashing it,but once her taste buds started to change,she refused to eat boiled beets and I had to feed it to her in some other form.Then I slowly started to add beets in muffins,pulao ,raita etc,sometimes I also make beetroot halwa or kheer.Recently I found very fresh beets ad I bought them,I thought of making halwa or muffins but then I wanted to try a recipe with beets as star,I was contemplating with this beetroot pulao recipe and finally gave it a shot. I made it in the same lines of my usual pulao recipes, and to my disbelief this beetroot pulao was so flavorful and tasty,no beetroot flavor was distinctly felt. I first tasted it as this was the only dish I made for lunch and I had no other go,but once I tasted I gobbled it down :). I made this pulao little more spicy than my usual cooking,generous use of cilantro and mint leaves along with curd makes this pulao very very tasty.
Here is the step by step-how to beet root pulao recipe:
1.wash,soak and drain basmati rice.Cook the rice and allow it to cool.-How to cook basmati rice
2.Heat oil in a kadai and temper with mustard and cumin seeds.Add crushed ginger and green chillies.
3.Add the washed cilantro and mint leaves.Saute well.Add the chopped onions and saute till golden
4.Add the grated beetroot and saute well.
5.Add chilli powder,turmeric powder,curd and mix well.Saute till the curd is absorbed and beetroot is cooked
6.Add garam masala,cooled rice and ghee.Cover for 10 minutes.
7.Mix gently and serve hot.
Make it vegan: For vegan version,just avoid ghee and instead of curd add 2 teaspoons lemon juice after mixing the rice with beets.
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- 1 large beetroot,peeled and grated
- 1 onion,sliced
- 3 tablespoons curd/yogurt
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 green chillies
- 1" ginger,crushed
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- Wash,soak and drain basmati rice.Cook the rice and allow it to cool.-How to cook basmati rice
- Heat oil in a kadai and temper with mustard and cumin seeds.Add crushed ginger and green chillies.
- Add the washed cilantro and mint leaves.Saute well.Add the chopped onions and saute till golden
- Add the grated beetroot and saute well.
- Add chilli powder,turmeric powder,curd and mix well.Saute till the curd is absorbed and beetroot is cooked
- Add garam masala,cooled rice and ghee.Cover for 10 minutes.
- Mix gently and serve hot.
2. Decrease the amount of green chillies if you prefer
3.Make sure to cool the rice thoroughly before mixing.