Bhindi masala recipe with step by step photos. Today I am sharing a very delicious and popular side dish recipe with okra. Restaurant style bhindi masala recipe. Sauteed okra pieces tossed in spicy flavorful onion tomato masala. This is a delight for all bhindi lovers. This is a very easy to make recipe with bhindi .You can serve bhindi masala with phulka or dal rice.
Okra is a very versatile vegetable. There are so many ways to cook okra. We love bhindi too and I make many recipes with bhindi like besanwali bhindi, vendakai varuval, okra peanuts stir fry, vendakai kootu, vendakai puli kuzhambu.
To make bhindi masala select fresh and tender okras. It should be of bright green with out seeds popping out and should snap easily. The other ingredients needed for this bhindi recipe are fairly simple. Onions, tomatoes and your every day spices. You need to fry the bhindi first in this recipe. Then you toss it in the cooked masala. Here I have shallow fried the bhindi. You can just saute them in very less oil too.
This is a semi dry bhindi masala recipe, there are also recipe for bhindi masala gravy and dry curry. We like this semi dry bhindi masala more. To get over the dreaded okra slime be sure to wash and pat dry the okra thoroughly before you cut. The knife and board should also be dry. Sauteing the bhindi removes slime to an extent.
Here is how to make restaurant style bhindi masala recipe at home with easy step by step photos.
Bhindi masala recipe with step by step photos.
1. Wash and pat dry bhindi thoroughly. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
2. Heat a pan with some oil and saute or fry the cut bhindi. Saute till they are cooked and shrink a little. Remove to a plate and set aside.
3. In the same pan add 1 teaspoon oil if needed. Add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add crushed ginger garlic and slit green chilies. Saute till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes off.
4. Add finely chopped onions and saute till it changes translucent.
5. Add finely chopped tomatoes and mix well. Saute for few minutes.
6. Add spice powders. Mix well and saute well. Add salt and mix well.
7. Cook till the tomatoes turn mushy and starts leaving oil.
8. Add the fried bhindi pieces and toss well.
9. Add crushed kasuri methi and mix well. Serve bhindi masala with roti, phulka or dal rice.
Bhindi masala recipe card below:
- 15-20 tender okra/bhindi
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 large tomato, chopped fine
- 1 inch ginger piece,2-3 garlic cloves crushed together OR 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1-2 green chilies
- ¼ teaspoon crushed kasuri methi
- 1-2 tablespoons oil
- Spice powders:
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- Wash and pat dry okra thoroughly. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Fry or saute the okra in hot oil till it is cooked and wilts.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and temper with cumin seeds. Add crushed ginger garlic, green chili and fry.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute till it turns translucent.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute for few minutes.
- Add salt and spice powders. Mix well and saute till tomatoes turn mushy and leaves out oil
- Add the fried okra and toss well.
- Add kasuri methi and mix well. Serve bhindi masala hot.
2. You can toss bhindi in little corn floyr before frying.
3. You can add crushed pepper instead of chili powder.