Bombay sandwich recipe with step by step photos. Bombay grilled sandwich recipe, a gem among Indian street food recipes and a killer breakfast recipe for those who love to start the day with filling and comforting breakfast. I love this Bombay sandwich recipe so much, I used to have this regularly for breakfast while I was working,there were two versions available grilled cheese sandwich and grilled sandwich without cheese,I love the plain one anytime :).
This Bombay sandwich recipe is a famous Mumbai street food and I have seen people go crazy over this simple and delicious sandwich. I would call two ingredients as stars here in this Bombay sandwich recipe,the green chutney and amul butter,yeah use amul butter for the delicious taste and flavor and the green chutney is the secret and taste enhancing ingredient here. If you want the real taste of this sandwich as you get in street shops,use white bread and do not skimp on butter,yeah once in a while it is ok to indulge 🙂
There are so many variations to make Bombay sandwich recipe, in some places I have seen people adding raw onion and in some places beets,while I love raw onion in my sandwich,it is always a no no with beets. I have been getting constant requests for easy and simple breakfast recipes and I am trying my best to post as much as I am able to. This Bombay sandwich recipe is a very easy one to put together if you stock up on green chutney and one comforting breakfast. You can plan ahead and make green chutney the before day or even better you can make green chutney during weekend and store in the fridge for 3-4 days. Storing green chutney is useful in multiple ways,you can make this sandwich,you can serve as quick and healthy side dish for cutlets,upma,you can spread inside dosa,you can make chaats in a jiffy. we love street foods big time and being a great fan of Indian street food recipes you can find easy recipes for bhel puri, pani puri,vada pao here,do check out and indulge :). Now over to recipe for making Bombay grilled sandwich.
Thank you so much for taking time and reading this post,it would be lovely to hear back from you,do drop in your thoughts through comments. If you find this post useful please share as good food is best shared. To receive regular updates please like our Facebook page and follow us through pintrest ,thank you
If you are looking for more easy breakfast recipes do check
Vegans can use vegan butter to toast the sandwich
Bombay sandwich recipe card below:
- 12 white bread slices
- 1 large potato,boiled,peeled and sliced thin
- 2 tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 medium onions,sliced into round
- ½ capsicum sliced into rounds (optional)
- chaat masala powder
- pepper powder
- Salted butter
- For green chutney
- 1 small bunch cilantro leaves,washed,and roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch mint leaves,washed and roughly chopped
- 2 green chillies
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- For green chutney:
- Grind all the ingredients expect lemon juice into a thick paste with very less water. just add 1-2 tablespoon water as you grind to ease the grinding,the chutney should be easily spreadable and not runny. finally add the lemon juice and mix well. Set aside or store refrigerated.
- How to make Bombay grilled sandwich recipe
- Take a bread slice and spread softened butter over it. Now add 1-2 teaspoons green chutney and spread.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes,cucumber,onion and capsicum. Sprinkle little chaat masala powder,pepper powder.
- Take another bread slice and sandwich the veggies. Gently spread some butter over it. Repeat the same with all the bread slices to get 6 sandwich.
- Toast the sandwich in a electric grill/stove top grill or grill plate in a sandwich maker till the bread becomes slightly golden brown. Serve bombay grilled sandwich hot with mint chutney/sauce immediately.
2.you can ad thinly sliced beets along with other veggies.
3. Here I have grilled the sandwich for a short time. If you want your sandwich crispy you can grill till they become golden brown.
4. Do not miss to sprinkle chaat powder and pepper powder over the veggies as they really add a zing