Bread upma recipe with step by step photos., today I am sharing the recipe for bread upma- an easy bread recipe to use the leftover bread slices. I always stock up on fresh bread at home to tackle sudden hunger pangs or to serve something substantial when usual tiffin items fail to charm. While I serve fresh bread as toast or with jam, a day or 2 old bread slices are used for making bread upma. Bread upma is a uausal fare at home that I make at least twice a month, sometimes I make it special by adding loads of veggies and sometimes it is just plain upma with a good dose of lemon. South Indian bread upma is a complete breakfast food,but you can also pack this in lunch for toddlers and kids. Torn bread pieces are tossed in a tempering with or without vegetables. I have seen even upma haters love this bread upma. I love all kinds of upma and often make rava upma, semiya upma, aval upma, sabudana upma and all time favorite idli upma for breakfast or snacks. Bread upma recipe can be prepared in many ways, in few places the bread is powdered very coarsely whereas we always make bread upma with bite size bread pieces.
You can make bread upma with in 15 minutes if you can chop veggies fast :). Yes it that easy and quick. Bread upma can be served with sauce or any chutney, but it tastes great on its own too. When serving for toddlers and kids you can serve bread upma with a milkshake or plain milk. This makes a filling and healthy breakfast.
You can use any kind of bread for this upma recipe, I would suggest using wheat bread on a regular basis but once in a while you can use white bread, it is areal treat :). As far as veggies you can use carrot,peas,baby corns etc in this bread upma.
Serve bread upma with coffee
Here is how to make bread upma recipe with step by step photos. Do try this!
step by step bread upma recipe:
1. Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a kadai. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Net add crushed ginger and green chillies. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add finely chopped onions and saute till the color changes slightly.
3. Add the chopped veggies and saute for 3-4 minutes. Saute well for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add turmeric powder,salt and mi well. Add 1/8 cup water and cook the veggies for 5 minutes. (do not add more water else the veggies will turn soggy).
5. Add the torn bread pieces and mix well. toss and cook in low flame for 4-5 minutes. Do not add water.
6. Once the bread pieces are cooked, remove from flame and add freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix well and serve bread upma hot.
Bread upma recipe details below:
- 6-7 bread slices,torn into bite size pieces
- 1 small carrot,peeled and chopped fine
- 2-3 baby corns, finely chopped
- ½ green bell pepper,finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper,finely chopped
- 1 medium onion,finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed ginger
- 2 green chillies,slit
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons oil
- Tear the bread into bite size pieces.
- Chop the vegetables and onion
- Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a kadai and add cumin seeds,let it crackle.
- Add the crushed ginger and slit green chillies.Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till it turns translucent.
- Add the chopped veggies and saute well.
- Add salt,turmeric powder and mix well.Add ⅛ cup water and cook the veggies.
- Add the bread pieces and toss well
- Remove from flame,add lemon juice and serve bread upma hot.
2. Do not add more water for cooing veggies.
3. Do not add water after adding the bread.
4. You can add ½ teaspoon sugar along with salt.