Cabbage pakoda recipe with step by step photos. Quick and easy snacks recipe with cabbage, this cabbage pakoda is so simple to make and it gets ready within 20 minutes.
I always wanted to share some quick and easy snacks recipes here that can be served as side dish too. Cabbage pakoda recipe is one such one, you can serve these pakodas as snack with coffee or even side dish with rice, sambar or any gravy. I often make these pakodas to go with any spicy curry or sambar and rice.
To make cabbage pakoda, you need very few ingredients and spice powders. There are many variations in cabbage pakoda recipe, here I have made them just like we make onion pakoda. I have not added chopped green chilies in this pakoda, you can add them too along with cabbage, when serving for toddlers or kids you can skip green chilies and add chili powder along with flours.
To make crisp cabbage pakoda or any pakoda there are few pointers to take care, I have listed them below.
To make crispy cabbage pakoda:
1. Adding little bit of fat to the flour mixture makes the pakoda crispy, you can either add 1 teaspoon melted ghee or hot oil to the flour. I have used the hot oil here. add only 1-2 teaspoons oil, do not add more oil.
2.Water should be just sprinkled as and when needed to bind the vegetable with flour, if you add more water the pakodas will turn soft and uncooked from inside.
3. The oil used for frying pakoda should be smoking hot, if not the pakoda will soak up more oil and turn soft after cooling down.
4. Use rice flour instead of corn flour, pakoda made with rice and besan flour stays crispy even for 2-3 days.
Here is how to make crispy cabbage pakoda recipe, do try out!
Cabbage pakoda recipe with step by step photos.
1. To begin making cabbage pakoda, first start with heating oil for deep frying as we need hot oil to mix in the flour. Heat oil for deep frying in a kadai.
2. Take besan/gram flour/kadalai mavu and rice flour/arisi mavu in a mixing bowl.
3. Add salt, chili powder, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
4. Take 1-2 teaspoons of oil that is getting heated in the kadai carefully and add it to the flour-spice mixture. Mix well.
5. Add the chopped cabbage and finely chopped ginger, curry leaves to the flour mixture.
6. Sprinkle little water slowly and bind well. Do not add more water.
7. Pinch small portions and carefully slide in the hot oil.
8.Deep fry until golden brown.
9. Serve cabbage pakoda hot with coffee/tea or as side dish with rice and sambar.
Cabbage pakoda recipe card below:
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup gram flour/ kadalai mavu/ besan
- 1/8 cup rice flour/ arisi mavu
- 1 inch ginger piece peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- Oil for deep frying
- Water for binding.
- Chop cabbage finely. peel and chop the ginger very finely.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Take gram flour and rice flour in a mixing bowl
- Add chili,turmeric and asafoetida powder. Add salt too. Mix well.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons hot oil. Mix well
- Add chopped cabbage,ginger and mix well. Add little water to bind
- Pinch small portions add slide in the hot oil.
- Deep fry till golden brown.
- Serve cabbage pakoda hot with coffee or tea.
2. You can chopped green chilies along with ginger.
3. Instead of rice flour you can add corn flour too but rice flour works best.