Coriander rice recipe or cilantro rice recipe with step by step photos. Sharing a very very easy to make quick rice recipe with one of the most indispensable Indian herb, coriander leaves aka cilantro leaves. Cilantro leaves are a must in my kitchen to add flavor and nutrition to rasam, sambar, chutney and many more. I just love the fresh and crisp flavor it lends to any dish. I am trying my best to post simple everyday recipes here and this cilantro rice recipe is definitely one such.
Cilantro rice Indian style or Indian coriander rice is an improvised version of my all time favorite kothumalli sadham (rice mixed with coriander paste). I often make kothumalli thokku and store to eat with curd rice or mix with cold rice to make kothumalli sadham. Sometimes when I feel like making something very quick and easy, also tasty and flavorful I make this cilantro rice. The only task involved in making this cilantro rice recipe is chopping carrots and bell peppers and that is too optional. if you see any of rice recipes you will notice that, I love to sneak in as many vegetable as possible and this coriander rice recipe is no different.
To make cilantro rice recipe, you can use basmati rice or even normal raw rice, just make sure rice is cooked in such a way that grains are separate and cool the rice thoroughly. In this recipe I have added some mint leaves along with cilantro leaves. The base for this cilantro rice recipe, the cilantro paste can be made 2-3 days ahead and stored in fridge too.
Serve cilantro rice with vadam or raita, but I always serve this with salted plain curd. This will be an excellent dish and toddlers and kids tiffin, very very flavorful and tasty with attractive color. When making for them I suggest you add the vegetables 🙂
Here is how to make coriander rice recipe, do try out!
Cilantro rice recipe with step by step photos:
1. Wash, soak and cook the rice. Cool thoroughly. You can by all means use left over rice.
2. wash the cilantro ad mint leaves thoroughly. Take the washed leaves, 1/2 inch ginger,peeled, 2 green chillies in a mixer jar. First run the mixer without any water, once coarsely ground, add very little water and grind to a smooth paste. Remove to bowl and set aside.
3. Heat a kadai and ass 2-3 teaspoons oil. Temper with mustard seeds and urad dal.
4. Add finely chopped onions and saute till color changes.
5. Add chopped carrots and bell peppers. saute till the vegetables turn soft.
6. Add the pureed cilantro-ginger paste and mix well. Cook for few minutes.
7. Add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder ans mix well. Cook further.
8. Cook till raw smell goes off and the masala is thick.
9. Add cold rice and mix gently. Serve cilantro rice with curd.