Dal fry recipe with step by step photos. Restaurant style dal fry recipe is one of the most sought after Punjabi side dish recipes. I have eaten dal fry in restaurants only very few times.I feel making Punjabi style dal fry recipe is quite simple. We can make it healthy and hygienic in our kitchen itself. Punjabi Dal fry recipe is usually made with toor dal, but I have tried the same recipe with split moong and whole moong dal as well. All versions taste delicious. I used to refer sanjeev Kapoor’s dal fry recipe when I started cooking.
Dal fry recipe is different from dal tadka recipe. In dal fry we have to saute all the spices,onion tomatoes very well in oil and then add the cooked dal. In dal tadka the onion and tomatoes are cooked along with dal and finally a tadka (tempering) is added.
Here I am sharing a very easy dal fry recipe. This is a Punjabi dal fry recipe with toor dal (split pigeon peas).
The make dal fry recipe cook toor dal really well. Once it is done,use a masher or a ladle and mash up well like you will do for baby’s food. It is the dal itself that gives this dal fry recipe the required creaminess and we are not adding anything special or extra for richness. To make restaurant style dal fry recipe, add butter for sauteing.I have already blogged a recipe here for no onion garlic dal fry that you could make on festival days too. This dal fry is lightly spiced and with sublime flavors. Even toddlers and kids s who are not fond of eating bland dal rice will enjoy this flavorful dish.This is best eaten with rotis or jeera rice,steamed plain basmati rice along with ghee.
The consistency of dal fry recipe is your choice, you can make it a bit thick if you are serving it as side dish and make it a bit thin if you want to mix it with rice and eat.
I have tried this same dal fry recipe with 50:50 toor dal and moong dal and that has turned out well too. To make this dal fry recipe even more healthy,you can add finely chopped veggies like carrots,potatoes,peas,beans etc.
Serve dal fry piping hot with rice or rotis.
Here is how to make Punjabi dal fry recipe with step by step photos.
Step by step dal fry recipe:
1.Pressure cook toor dal for 6-7 whistles until it is completely cooked.Once cooked mash really well until creamy and set aside.
2.Heat oil in a kadai and temper with mustard and cumin seeds.
3.Add the slit green chillies,red chillies,ginger and saute for 2-3 minutes.
4.Add the sliced onions and saute till translucent.
5.Add the chopped tomatoes and saute till cooked and mushy.
restaurant style dal fry recipe:
- 1¼ cup split pigeon peas/toor dal/thuvaram paruppu
- 1 large onion,sliced
- 1 large tomato,finely chopped
- 2 slit green chillies
- 2 dried red chillies
- ½ teaspoon crushed ginger OR ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- cilantro leaves,kasuri methi for garnishing
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice.
- 3 teaspoon oil or butter
- Pressure cook toor dal for 6-7 whistles until it is completely cooked.Once cooked mash really well until creamy and set aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai and temper with mustard and cumin seeds.
- Add the slit green chillies,red chillies,ginger and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sliced onions and saute till translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute till cooked and mushy.
- Now add the mashed toor dal and mix well.Add salt,turmeric powder and coriander powder.
- Add 1 cup of water,mix well and cook in medium flame until the dal thickens.(10-12 minutes)
- Add cilantro leaves and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from flame,add kasuri methi,lemon juice mix well and serve hot.
2.If you have fresh methi leaves you can saute it along with onions and skip kasuri methi
3.Use ghee for enhanced flavor and taste instead of oil.
4.If your toor dal doesn't cook well,soak it in water for 30 minutes before cooking.