Schezwan sauce recipe with step by step photos. Today I am sharing a very easy to make, quick and tasty homemade schezwan sauce recipe. I got many requests for this homemade schezwan sauce recipe and here is the easy recipe for all those who asked.
This schezwan sauce is nothing like what you get in stores. This schezwan sauce recipe is clean with no preservatives, colrants etc. For nice color and also to reduce the spice I have added a small amount of fresh tomato puree, it is totally optional and you will not find this tomato puree in many schezwan sauce recipes.I have tried various recipes for this schezwan sauce and the one I am blogging today remains to be the current favorite,tastes almost like what we eat in restaurants. I have already blogged a recipe for this sauce,but the one I am posting here is more detailed with some changes.You can choose either one as per your preference.
To make schezwan sauce recipe authentically we need sichuan chilies, if you have them handy you can use else just go ahead with regular dried red chilies we use for tempering curries or even chili flakes used in pizza will work. For mildly spiced and vibrant colored schezwan sauce use dried kashmiri red chilies. Ginger-garlic are very important ingredients for flavoring the sauce. Next ingredient is onion, you can use regular onions or spring onion whites or celery.
Apart from using in recipes such as schezwan fried rice, schezwan paneer, schezwan potatoes you ca serve schezwan sauce as a dipping sauce with momo, croquettes etc.
Here is how to make easy homemade schezwan sauce recipe for you all to try!
Schezwan sauce recipe with step by step photos.
1.Heat sesame oil in a kadai till smoking point.Add the chilli flakes and saute well for 3-5 minutes.
2.Next add the crushed ginger-garlic.Saute till the raw smell goes off.
3.Next add the chopped/blended tomato and mix well.Add spring onion greens and mix well.
4.Add salt,sugar,vinegar and pepper powder.Saute well till the sauce thickens leaves the side of the kadai an starts to ooze out oil. Store schezwan sauce airtight in refrigerator.
Schezwan sauce recipe card below:
- ½cup chilli flakes or 20 dried red chillies
- ⅛ cup spring onion greens,chopped fine/celery/coriander stem
- 6-7 garlic cloves(increase/decrease as per taste)
- 1 small tomato pureed or 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- ⅛ cup sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Heat sesame oil in a kadai till smoking point.Add the chilli flakes and saute well for 3-5 minutes.
- Next add the crushed ginger-garlic.Saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Next add the chopped/blended tomato and mix well.Add spring onion greens and mix well/
- Add salt,sugar,vinegar and pepper powder.Saute well till the sauce thickens leaves the side of the kadai an starts to ooze out oil.Store schezwan sauce airtight in refrigerator.
2.If using whole chillies,soak them in hot water and blend to a smooth paste.
3.Instead of vinegar you can use lemon juice.
4.You can add 1 teaspoon soy sauce and tomato sauce along with salt and pepper if you prefer