kadai paneer recipe with step by step pictures. Kadai paneer recipe is an easiest one among many paneer recipes. If you are looking for a quick fix yet delicious side dish in very less time, kadai paneer recipe is your best bit. All it takes around 10 minutes for chopping the vegetables and 15 minutes for cooking. Kadai paneer recipe gets it name as the whole dish is prepared in a single kadai. There are 2 variations in kadai paneer recipe. Semi dry kadai paneer and kadai paneer gravy. Here I am sharing best kadai paneer recipe, restaurant style semi dry kadai paneer.
As I said above kadai paneer is a very easy one among paneer recipes. You need very few day to day ingredients for making this easy paneer recipe. This side dish is a bit on the spicier side. Unlike paneer bitter masala which is sweetish this kadai paneer is spicy and a bit tangy. The recipe for kadai paneer is fairly simple. If you have the cut vegetables ready you can make this very easily within 20 minutes. Here I have used colored bell peppers and they add to the color of the dish.
To make kadai paneer recipe, it is best to use homemade paneer. If using store bought paneer keep the cubes in hot water till adding to the curry. The main flavor of this kadai paneer comes from coriander powder. Coriander powder adds a sharp taste and flavor. Kadai paneer is delicious mix of sauteed bell peppers with cottage cheese along with a perfect blend of Indian spices. The procedure for making kadai paneer is really simple, the onion tomato mix is sauteed very well along with spice powders and finally cubed panner is added followed by a quick toss and finally finished with a generous amount of crushed kasuri methi. I have loosely adapted this kadai paneer recipe by sanjeev kapoor and this is an all time favorite at my home.
As we are using very less number of ingredients in this recipe choose freshest of ingredients and it would be great if you can use freshly pounded coriander powder. You can use store bought too but the flavor and taste will be definitely great if you use fresh homemade powder. Select ripe red tomatoes and use desi tomatoes as they are slightly tangy and turn mushy faster yielding more quantity. I have not used garlic in this recipe,you can surely add required amount of garlic along with ginger. Next to get a deep red color use kashmiri chilli powder.
Serve kadai paneer with roti, naan, jeera rice or plain steamed rice.
here is how to make kadai paneer recipe with step by step photos. Do try out!
step by step kadai paneer recipe
1. Cut the paneer into bite size cubes. If using frozen paneer,defrost and thaw completely before cutting. You can keep the paneer cubes soaked in very hot water until use to retain softness.
2. Heat a kadai and add 2 tablespoons oil to it. Temper with cumin seeds,add slitted green chillies,crushed ginger and saute for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the thinly sliced onions and saute for 3-4 minutes until it turns translucent.
4. Add the finely chopped tomatoes and saute for 4-5 minutes.
5. Add the cubed bell peppers and mix well. Add chilli powder,turmeric powder,coriander seed powder,garam masala,salt and sugar.Mix well and saute very well till the tomatoes turn mushy and leaves out oil.
6. Add the cubed paneer and mix well. Toss gently for 2 minutes. Add crushed kasuri methi and remove from flame.
7. Serve kadai paneer hot with rice/roti
Vegan option: Vegans can us tofu instead of paneer.
Kadai paneer recipe card below:
- 1 cup paneer cubes
- 1 medium green bell pepper,cut into bite size cubes.
- 1 large onion,finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes,finely chopped
- 2 green chillies,slit
- ½ teaspoon ginger crushed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon kasuri methi
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Cut paneer and bell peppers into bite size cubes.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes finely.
- Heat 2 tablespoons in a kadai and temper with cumin seeds.
- Add crushed ginger,green chillies and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onions and saute till translucent
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper,all the spice powders and salt. Saute very well till the masala leaves out oil
- Add the cubed paneer and toss gently.
- Add kasuri methi,mix well and serve hot.
2. You can use different colored bell peppers in this recipe