Khandvi recipe with step by step photos. Khandvi is a delicious Gujarati snack made with besan or gram flour. Soft, flavorful melt in mouth gram flour rolls or pinwheels served with green chutney. I tried it for the first time last week and liked it very much. I referred sanjeev kapoor’s khandvi recipe with few changes.
Khandvi recipe is fairly simple to look but definitely tricky to master. We need very simple pantry staples like gram flour, chili powder to make khnavdi. Gram flour or besan and butter milk are the important ingredients for making khandvi. In India buttermilk is made by mixing water with smooth whisked curd. This butter milk is not to be confused with milk and vinegar buttermilk. Gram flour and buttermilk is mixed into lump free batter first. The batter is spiced with chili powder, ginger green chili paste, turmeric powder and salt. Now the very important stpe is to cook the khnadvi batter perfectly. If you get the consistency of khandvi batter perfect, we can make perfect khandvi.
As I said above khnadvi recipe needs some practice but once mastered it is very easy to make. It takes hardly 20 minutes to make this gujarati khandvi. The consistency of batter and spreading it properly makes good khandvi. Also the butter milk should be thick. Just mix 1 cup of water to 1 cup of sour curd and whisk very well. This butter milk consistency will be perfect for khandvi. Make sure to spread the khnadvi batter on the working surface immediately. The batter will solidify very fast and we cannot spread it on cooling.
To make khandvi recipe, we need besan or gram flour to be fine. The khandvi batter is spiced up with ginger green chili paste. If you prefer you can add chili powder too but that will change the yellow color of khandvi. The finished rolls are garnished with a tempering of mustard and some grated coconut and cilantro leaves. You can also add curry leaves in the tempering.
Serve khandi at room temperature as snack or appetizer with green chutney.
Vegan and gluten free options: You can make vegan khandvi by using dairy free yogurt. To make gluten free khandvi use gluten free asafoetida or leave out asafoetida.
Khandvi recipe card below:
- 1/2 cup gram flour or besan
- 1/2 cup slughtly sour curd
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled and 2 green chilies crushed together
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- A big pinch asafoetida
- For tempering and garnish
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon oil
- To garnish
- grated coconut
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Take gram flour in a thick bottomed pan.To that add curd, water, salt, chili paste and turmeric powder.
- Mix very well without lumps.
- Start heating the mixture in medium flame.
- Keep whisking and cook till the mixture is thickens and becomes pasty
- Once the mixture is cooked, immediately spread it into very thin layer on greased plates or parchment paper or kitchen counter.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes
- Cut into ribbons with a sharp knife.
- Roll and arrange on a plate.
- Tempering the khandvi rolls
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil and add the mustard seeds and let it crackle.
- Pour over the prepared khanvdi rolls. Top with grated coconut and chopped cilantro leaves. Serve khandvi as snack.
2. Make sure to remove the batter from flame as soon it turns pasty.
How to make khandvi recipe with step by step photos.
To make khandvi batter and rolls
Take gram flour in a thick bottomed pan.To that add curd, water, salt, chili paste and turmeric powder.
Mix very well without lumps.
Start heating the mixture in medium flame.
Keep whisking and cook till the mixture is thickens and becomes pasty.
Once the mixture is cooked, immediately spread it into very thin layer on greased plates or parchment paper or kitchen counter.
Let it cool for 10 minutes
Cut into ribbons with a sharp knife.
Roll and arrange on a plate.
Tempering the khandvi rolls
Heat 1 teaspoon oil and add the mustard seeds and let it crackle.
Pour over the prepared khanvdi rolls. Top with grated coconut and chopped cilantro leaves. Serve khandvi as snack.