Kuthiraivali ammini kozhukkatai recipe is a twist on traditional ammini kozhukattai recipe by using kuthiraivlai arisi(barnyard millet) instead of regular raw rice. I am trying to incorporate millet in our diet these days and trying to eat them for breakfast. Though I have heard that we need to acquire the taste of millet,we did not feel anything unpleasant or different in millet we have tried till date. I usually prepare ammini kozhukattai for breakfast/snacks and this time I replaced rice with kuthiraivali and it turned out pretty good,so sharing here the recipe for kuthiraivali ammini kozhukattai with you all 🙂
Here are the stepwise pictures for making kuthiraivali ammini kozhukattai recipe
1.Wash,drain and dry the kuthiraivali arisi.
2.Grind to a fine powder and sift if needed ( I did not sift)
3.Boil water along with salt,and once it starts to bubble add oil to it.
4.Add the boiled water to the ground millet and form a soft pliable dough
5.Make small pebble like balls from the dough and arrange in a steamer.
6.Steam for 0-12 minutes,the balls will be non sticky and glossy.
7.Heat oil in a kadai and temper with mustard,urad,channa dal,asafoetida,curry leaves.
8.Add the tempering to the steamed balls and mix well
9.Add chopped coconut,mix well and serve hot
- 1 cup barnyard millet/kuthiraivali arisi
- ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon oil
- For tempering:
- 1 teaspoon black gram/urad dal
- 1 teaspoon gram dal/channa dal
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2 green chillies
- 1 dried red chilli
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Shredded or finely chopped coconut for topping
- Wash,drain and thoroughly dry the kuthiraivali arisi.
- Grind to a fine powder and set aside
- Boil water along with salt,and once it starts to bubble add oil to it.Remove from flame
- Add the boiled water to the ground millet and mix well with a spoon.Once it is warm to touch,knead to a soft and smooth dough.
- Make small pebble like balls from the dough and arrange in a steamer.
- Steam for 0-12 minutes,the balls will be non sticky and glossy.
- Heat oil in a kadai and temper with mustard,urad,channa dal,asafoetida,curry leaves.
- Add the tempering to the steamed balls and mix well
- Add chopped coconut,mix well and serve hot
2.Usually we add finely chopped coconut for ammini kozhukattai,you can also add grated coconut
3.You can sift the dough after grinding just like we do for rice flour,but I did not sift and there was no difference felt.