Palak paneer recipe with step by step photos. Restaurant style palak paneer recipe that can be made at home easily. palak paneer is the Indian side dish recipe for naan, roti, jeera rice etc. palak paneer is Indian cottage cheese simmered in gently spiced spinach gravy. Palak paneer is one of the most popular north Indian side dish recipes. Very easy to make at home and healthy as well, this palak paneer is tried and tested not only by me but my friends and dear readers as well.
Punjabi palak paneer is the most popular paneer recipe among Indian paneer recipes like paneer butter masala, paneer korma, paneer jalfrezi recipes. Making restaurant style palak paneer recipe at home is very simple. you can achieve the restaurant taste and flavor in palak paneer by adding cream, blanching the spinach before blending. I found this easy palak paneer recipe in a magazine. I also vouch for sanjeev kapoor’s palak paneer recipe.
Perfect palak paneer is smooth, flavorful and vibrant. The amount of spinach used should not be more or less. To keep the color of the curry vibrant blanch the spinach leaves with some sugar. Also do not keep the pureed palak for long time. Adding some lemon juice also helps in maintaining the color of palak paneer. Try to use fresh and tender spinach leaves as they cook fast. Apart from ginger garlic, garam masala powder is used to flavor this delicious palak paneer recipe. If you wish you can leave out garam masala here as it may tend to change the color some what. To get that smoky flavor in palak paneer you can use dhungar method or creating smoke with charcoal. I have tried one or two times but usually I do not follow that in day to day cooking. Here I have added the panner as such to the palak gravy. For more restaurant style dish, you can toast or fry the paneer cubes gently and then add to the gravy.
To make palak paneer recipe at home you need very less and simple ingredients. All you need are jeera, bay leaf and garam masala. It is best to use butter for sauteing as it greatly increases the flavor of the finished dish. Try to use homemade paneer for palak paneer recipe. Sometimes store bought paneer will turn hard and rubbery once added to the gravy. To avoid that keep the cubed paneer in hot water until use.
Here is how to make palak paneer recipe with step by step photos.
Palak paneer recipe card below:
- 2 small bunch or 1 large bunch (250 grams) spinach leaves
- 200 grams paneer, cut into bite size cubes
- 1 medium onion,finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes,finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½+1/2 teaspoon sugar
- ½ inch ginger,peeled
- 2-3 cloves garlic,peeled and crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly.
- Blanch the spinach leaves in boiling water along with sugar for 3-4 minutes.
- Wash the blanched leaves in cold running water. Puree the spinach along with ginger and green chilli
- Heat butter in a thick bottomed pan. Add bay leaf and saute well.
- Add crushed garlic,chopped onions and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix well. Saute till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add chili powder and saute well.
- Add the spinach puree and mix well. Add sugar,salt and garam masala. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped paneer cubes and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice,mix well and serve palak paneer hot.
2. Adding sugar while blanching retains color and increases taste.
how to make palak paneer recipe step by step photos.
1. To begin making palak paneer recipe, first separate the palak leaves from the bunch and wash thoroughly to get rid of any dirt or mud. Chop onion and tomatoes finely. Peel and crush the garlic cloves.
2. Bring plenty of water to rolling boil in big vessel. Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar and mix well. Add the washed pinach leaves and blanch them for 2-3 minutes.
3. Once blanched wash the spinach leaves in cold running water. Allow to cool for few minutes.
4. Grind the blanched leaves to a smooth puree along with green chilies and ginger.
5. Heat butter in a thick bottomed pan. Add bay leaf and saute for 2 minutes. Add crushed garlic and chopped onions. Saute till the onion changes color slightly.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute well till the tomatoes turn mushy. Add chilli powder,mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add the spinach puree and mix well. Add 1/4 cup water. Add salt and sugar. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
8. Add garam masala and mix well.
9. Add the paneer cubes and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
10.Add fresh lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot with rice or roti.
Vegans can make palak paneer by using tofu in place of paneer, oil in place of butter and that technically becomes palak tofu 🙂