Palak paneer recipe with step by step photos. Learn how to make delicious palak paneer recipe, restaurant style with this easy recipe today.
Sharing restaurant style palak paneer recipe on request here. Punjabi palak paneer is the most popular paneer recipe among Indian paneer recipes like paneer butter masala, paneer korma, paneer jalfrezi recipes. Palak means spinach . So palak paneer is basically paneer cubes simmered in rich and creamy spinach gravy. I have eaten palak paneer in many restaurants but the one I get to eat in a Punjabi restaurant near my home stands out in taste,color and flavor. Being a regular visitor there I asked them for the recipe but I was amused by the simplicity of the recipe they shared. After that I have been making this recipe at least twice a month. I sometimes make Sanjeev kapoor’s palak paneer recipe too. Last time when I made it I clicked the pictures too for sharing the recipe here. Restaurant style palak paneer recipe is one of the most requested recipe here.
A well made palak paneer is smooth, flavorful and vibrant. The amount of spinach used should not be more or less. To keep the color of the curry vibrant blanch the spinach leaves with some sugar. Also do not keep the pureed palak for long time. Adding some lemon juice also helps in maintaining the color of palak paneer. Try to use fresh and tender spinach leaves as they cook fast. Apart from ginger garlic, garam masala powder is used to flavor this delicious palak paneer recipe. If you wish you can leave out garam masala here.
To make palak paneer recipe at home you need very less and simple ingredients. All you need are jeera, bay leaf and garam masala. It is best to use butter for sauteing as it greatly increases the flavor of the finished dish. Try to use homemade paneer for palak paneer recipe. Sometimes store bought paneer will turn hard and rubbery once added to the gravy. To avoid that keep the cubed paneer in hot water until use.
Here is how to make palak paneer recipe with step by step photos.
Step by step palak paneer recipe:
1. To begin making palak paneer recipe, first separate the palak leaves from the bunch and wash thoroughly to get rid of any dirt or mud. Chop onion and tomatoes finely. Peel and crush the garlic cloves.
2. Bring plenty of water to rolling boil in big vessel. Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar and mix well. Add the washed pinach leaves and blanch them for 2-3 minutes.
3. Once blanched wash the spinach leaves in cold running water. Allow to cool for few minutes.
4. Grind the blanched leaves to a smooth puree along with green chilies and ginger.
5. Heat butter in a thick bottomed pan. Add bay leaf and saute for 2 minutes. Add crushed garlic and chopped onions. Saute till the onion changes color slightly.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute well till the tomatoes turn mushy. Add chilli powder,mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add the spinach puree and mix well. Add 1/4 cup water. Add salt and sugar. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
8. Add garam masala and mix well.
9. Add the paneer cubes and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
10.Add fresh lemon juice and mix well. Serve palak paneer hot with rice or roti.
Vegans can make palak paneer by using tofu in place of paneer, oil in place of butter and that technically becomes palak tofu 🙂
Palak paneer recipe card below:
- 2 small bunch or 1 large bunch (250 grams) spinach leaves
- 200 grams paneer, cut into bite size cubes
- 1 medium onion,finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes,finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½+1/2 teaspoon sugar
- ½ inch ginger,peeled
- 2-3 cloves garlic,peeled and crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly.
- Blanch the spinach leaves in boiling water along with sugar for 3-4 minutes.
- Wash the blanched leaves in cold running water. Puree the spinach along with ginger and green chilli
- Heat butter in a thick bottomed pan. Add bay leaf and saute well.
- Add crushed garlic,chopped onions and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix well. Saute till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add chili powder and saute well.
- Add the spinach puree and mix well. Add sugar,salt and garam masala. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped paneer cubes and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice,mix well and serve palak paneer hot.
2. Adding sugar while blanching retains color and increases taste.