peas pulao recipe or matar pulao recipe with step by step photos. I have been getting lots of recipe requests through my request a recipe page and I am constantly asked to share some quick and easy meals recipe here. I prepared this peas pulao some time back when fresh green peas was abundant. Since this dis perfectly fits the bill for quick and easy meals sharing green peas pulao recipe today. Quick rice recipes are always on my list, they are quick, healthy and easy to make. I often make quick and easy meals that are also healthy like easy bisibelebath, restaurant style veg fried rice, easy veg rice, vangi bath
Fresh green peas have started to make an appearance in the markets in our place, so you can try this peas pulao recipe with fresh green peas else even frozen ones can also be used, but the fresh ones are best. This is a very minimalistic recipe with fresh and clean flavors. The main ingredients for making peas pulao recipe is of course green peas, but I would like to say fresh mint leaves is the star here. I highly recommend you add a generous dose of fresh mint leaves. They add a beautiful fresh flavor to the other wise subtle and mildly flavored pulao.
To make peas pulao, select good quality basmati rice and make sure you soak it for at least 30 minutes. This is very important because the whole of the peas pulao recipe is made in the pressure cooker, so we need to ensure the basmati rice is not broken or over cooked, as that will spoil the whole pulao. If you want to make the pulao in open pot or electric rice cooker, you can do so.
Peas pulao is a very mildly spiced pulao with sweetness from green peas, so this will be a nice dish to pack in toddlers and kids lunch. When making for a get together or something make sure to pair peas pulao with a spicy side dish. You can also serve peas pulao with any raita, dry curry or salad too.
Here is how to make green peas pulao recipe or matar pulao recipe, do try out!
Peas pulao recipe or matar pulao recipe with step by step photos:
1. Wash, rinse and soak basmati rice for 30 minutes. Drain and spread it on a plate until using.
2. Heat a pressure cooker or heavy bottomed pot and add 4 teaspoons oil to it.
3. Add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add crushed ginger and saute well.
4. Add bay leaf, cardamom pods, cloves,cinnamon and saute well.
5. Add thinly sliced onions and saute well till the color changes.
6. Add fresh mint leaves and saute well till it wilts.
7. Add shelled green peas and mix well.
8.Add drained rice and mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
9. Add 2.5 cups water, salt and close the pressure cooker. Pressure cook up to 3 whistles.
10. Once the pressure is released, open the cooker, fluff the rice and serve peas pulao with side dish of your choice.
peas pulao recipe or matar pulao recipe card below:
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 3/4 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup tightly packed mint leaves, washed(no need to chop)
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2.5 cups water adjust
- 1 " ginger peeled and crushed
- 4 teaspoons oil
- Whole spices
- 2-3 cardamoms
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 " inch cinnamon
- wash and soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add oil to it.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle
- Add crushed ginger and saute well.
- Add the whole spices and saute well for few minutes.
- Add sliced onions and saute till the color changes
- Add mint leaves and saute till the leaves wilt.
- Add green peas and saute well
- Add rice, mix well and saute
- Add water,salt and pressure cook for up to 3 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released, fluff the rice and serve peas pulao.
2. You can add 2 tablespoons methi leaves along with mint leaves.
3, If you wish to add vegetables like potatoes,carrots, add along with peas and adjust water.