Peshawari chole recipe, a very interesting chole preparation similar to punjabi chole recipe and a delicious combination for fluffy bhatura. I found this easy peshawari chole masala recipe here. I really liked the simplicity of this recipe and you can make this peshawari channa masala recipe within 30 minutes if you have soaked channa handy. I have loosely adapted the recipe and made few changes to suit the ingredients I had. This is the best recipe for chole that I have made so far. The authentic recipe for chole calls for teabag or dried amla to get the dark color,but I have not used both here as I did not have them,however I have mentioned in the instructions and you can add it if you have. Chole bhature is a much loved Indian street food recipe and I often make it at home,this time I replaced the usual Punjabi channa masala recipe with this Peshawari chole recipe and it was an instant hit at home. This a dry chole recipe compared to the usual one,the perfectly cooked kabuli channa quickly absorbs the masala and turns dry and taste absolutely divine. This is also the easiest recipe for chole at home, no grinding involved and all you need is dry chole masala powder that you can easily get in shops or make your won too. I am yet to try dry chole masala powder recipe and for now I use everest brand. Do try the popular street food recipe chole bature with this easy recipe 🙂
Thank you so much for taking time and reading this post,it would be lovely to hear back from you,do drop in your thoughts through comments. If you find this post useful please share as good food is best shared. To receive regular updates please like our Facebook page and follow us through pintrest ,thank you
If you love street foods as much as I do you may these recipes too
Let’s start the step by step recipe with pictures for peshawari chole recipe:
1. Pick,rinse and soak chickpeas/kabuli channa in plenty of water for 8 hours or over night. By the next day chickpeas will be plump and little bit soft.
2. Pressure cook the chickpeas with little salt,cardamom,cinnamon. Here you can add 2-3 tea bags or dried amla to get the dark color and slight tangy taste. I did not add them both though. Pressure cook until the channa is completey cooked and salt. Once the pressure is release,drain the channa and reserve the stock.
3. While the channa is cooking you can chop the onions,tomatoes and keep the other things ready.Heat a heavy bottomed kadai and add 2-3 tablspoons oil and add ginger garlic,slitted green chillies and saute well for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the chopped onions and saute for 5-6 minutes till it turns brown.
5. Next add the finely chopped tomatoes and mix well. Add 1/4 teaspoon sugar and saute till the tomatoes turn mushy.
6. Add the drained kabuli channa and mix well. Add salt,chole masala powder, anar/pomegranate powder and mix well.
7. Add the reserved stock/water and cook in medium flame for 10 minutes till all the water is absorbed. Add garam masala powder,mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes. Serve peshawari chole hot with bhatura. This chole recipe also goes well with pooris.
- 1 cup white chickpeas/kabuli channa
- 2-3 teabags/dried amla
- 1 small stick cinnamon
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 black cardamoms
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 2 large tomatoes chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons chole masala powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- teaspoon dried pomegranate powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2-3 green chillies slit
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger garlic
- Wash,rinse and soak kabuli channa form8 hours or over night. Drain and pressure cook until soft along with little salt,cardamom,cinnamon,cloves and teabags.
- Drain the cooked channa and reserve the stock separately.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add green chillies and ginger-garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions and fry till they turn brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes,sugar and saute till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the cooked channa,salt,chole masala powder and pomegranate powder. Mix well and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the reserved stock and cook in medium flame for 10 minutes or till the stock is absorbed.
- Add garam masala powder and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from flame and serve peshawari chole hot with batura or pooris.
2. You can even puree the tomatoes and use in this recipe.
3. Do add sugar as it enhances the taste.