Pistachio cookies recipe with step by step photos. I have been many getting requests for this Hyderabad karachi bakery style pista cookies recipe. I have previously shared karachi bakery fruit cookies and it was a huge hit both here in this blog and our home. Last year during diwali I shared badam nankhatai recipe s I thought it would be good to share this karachi bakery style pista cookies recipes during diwali 2016.
We easily get these karachi bakery cookies here in super markets. So before trying my hand at them, I purchased a pack of pista cookies. Pista cookies were in pale green color with some pista flakes and a strong flavor of nutmeg. I liked the cookies very much and wanted to recreate one very soon. These pistachio cookies are very easy to bake too, just few points to remember.
To make pistachio cookies recipe we need just 6 ingredients. Soft butter, wheat flour, sugar, nutmeg powder, rose water and pista flakes. No baking powder or soda is used for these pista cookies. Make sure the butter you use is very soft. The butter should not be melted too. Just bring it to room temperature and let it turn soft. I have used wheat flour in this recipe, you can use plain flour too. Do not skip nutmeg powder as it gives a unique flavor and taste. Instead of rose water you can use kewra water. Rose water and nuteg powder give an Indian touch to these cookies.
These pistachio cookies keep well for a week when stored airtight.
Here is how to make pistachio cookies recipe with step by step photos. Also check badam nan khatai, fruit cookies recipe
Step by step pistachio cookies recipe
1.Take soft butter in a mixing bowl. Add nutmeg powder and rose water to it.
2. Add powdered sugar and whisk well until creamy.
3. Add wheat flour and mix well.
4. Add 1/2 cup chopped pistachios and mix well. If the dough is very dry, just sprinkle 2 tablespoons milk.
5. Shape the dough into two round or square logs. Freeze the logs for 45minutes.
6. Preheat oven at 180C. Slice the log into equal sized cookies.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Once done, cool thoroughly and serve pistachio cookies as required.
Pistachio cookies recipe card below:
- 1 cup wheat flour or maida
- 100 grams soft butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar (can reduce up to 2 tablespoons)
- ½ cup chopped pistachios (unsalted)
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- ½ teaspoon rose water
- Pinch of salt if using unsalted butter
- Take soft butter in a mixing bowl. Add nutmeg powder and rose water to it.
- Add powdered sugar and whisk well until creamy.
- Add wheat flour and mix well.
- Add ½ cup chopped pistachios and mix well. If the dough is very dry, just sprinkle 2 tablespoons milk.
- Shape the dough into two round or square logs. Freeze the logs for 45minutes.
- Preheat oven at 180C. Slice the log into equal sized cookies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Once done, cool thoroughly and serve pistachio cookies as required.
2. These cookies crisp up on cooling. Watch carefully after 10 minutes and remove from oven