Poha chivda recipe with out deep frying. This time I have planned my Diwali 2016 sweets and savories mostly based on my reader’s requests. I do have tried few new and interesting things but mostly I am sharing what ever my readers have asked. One recipe that few readers asked me was no deep fry poha chivda recipe. Chivda is a snack from Maharashtra made with poha, cashews, peanuts, fried gram and more. It is basically a mixture of all these ingredients. All the ingredients are deep fried and then seasoned with salt. Poha chivda is a wonderful tea time snack that you can easily make at home.
I am great of fan of poha chivda recipe and often make it. Generally thick poha variety is used for making chivda, so we need to deep fry it. Here I have used thin poha variety so we can just saute the poha in very less oil in low flame. There are many variations in poha chivda recipe and the ingredients added to it. Today I am sharing a version that I always make.
To make poha chivda recipe I have used cashew nuts, peanuts, very finely chopped green chilies, curry leaves, raisins, fried gram. I have added just salt in this chivda. You can add red chili powder and asafoetida if you wish. Just make sure you use thin poha and saute it till it crisps up low flame. Just 3 teaspoons oil is enough for this quantity of poha mixture.
Poha chivda recipe card below:
- 1 cup thin rice flakes/ poha/ aval
- 2 tablespoons cashews
- 2 tablespoons peanuts
- 2 tablespoons fried gram
- 2 tablespoon raisins
- 3-4 very finely chopped green chilies
- 15 curry leaves
- 3-4 teaspoons oil
- Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a wide pan. Once the oil is hot lower the flame. Add ¼ cup poha at a time and saute well until it crisps up nicely. Saute without gap in low flame. remove to a plate. Fry the remaining ¾ cup poha in the similar way.
- In the same kadai add 1 more teaspoon of oil if needed. Fry cashews, fried gram, peanuts, raisins and curry leaves one by one. Fry in low flame until the color changes slightly. Remove to a plate.
- In the same oil add required chili powder, salt and fry well. Add to the poha cashew mixture. Toss very well so that salt gets equally distributed. Cool thoroughly before storing. Serve poha chivda along with coffee
2. Use only thin poha for this
3. Always fry in low flame.