Potato pulao recipe with minimum ingredients and steps, sharing an easy way to make potato pulao with very few ingredients, this is an easy potato pulao recipe that gets ready in just 20 minutes, if you have cooked rice ready. The robust flavor of this pulao comes from mint leaves/pudhina. Mint leaves add a fresh summery flavor to this pulao and also has cooling properties. I love to make quick and easy one pot meals during summer instead of toiling in hot kitchen for hours together. When you make such one pot meals you can add a delicious and cooling raita as a side dish and call it a day :).
This potato pulao has everything that a good pulao should have, perfectly cooked basmati rice, not overly spiced, subtle tang from tomatoes etc. As pulao is something I very often make I keep changing the spices and method to change the taste every time. I made this easy potato pulao on a fine day as I did not have much veggies to make a vegetable pulao.I had this recipe written in my recipes dairy and I tried it from there.
The main attraction of this pulao is crispy potato cubes, though it was mentioned to deep fry the cubed potatoes, I fried them with just 3 teaspoons oil in a low flame,it does take some time but worth it as we can avoid deep frying. If you want you can even shallow fry the potatoes with 2-3 tablespoons oil. Potato pulao can be served with a big bowl of raita and some pickle too. I would avoid serving this with chips/papad as it may get bit heavy. Here is how to make potato pulao recipe,do try and tell me 🙂
Step by step potato pulao recipe:
1. Soak,rinse and throughly drain the basmati rice. Add 2 cups water for 1 cuo rice and pressure cook for 2-3 whsitles. Once the pressure is off,fluff the rice with a fork adding 3-4 drops oil and let ti cool.
2. In the mean time par boil 2 large potatoes,peel and cut into bite sized cubes. Wipe off the excess moisture with a kitchen towel and set aside for 10 minutes.
3. heat a kadai and add 3 teaspoons oil. Add the potato cubes and fry in low flame till they turn golden brown. Alternately you can shallow/deep fry them too. Remove to a plate and keep aside.
4. In the same kadi heat 3 teaspoons oil and add cumin seeds,once they are fried add slit green chillies,grated ginger and mix well.
5. Add chopped mint leaves and saute for few minutes.
6. Add finely chopped onions and saute till they slightly change color. Next add the tomatoes and saute till they turn mushy.
7. Add salt,turmeric powder and garam masala. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
8. Add the fried potatoes and mix gently.
9. Add the cooked rice,mix gently and switch off the flame. Serve potato pulao hot with raita.
Potato pulao recipe details below:
- 1 1/4 cup basmati rice cooked and cooled
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mint leaves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 2-3 green chillies slit
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 +3 teaspoons oil
- Pressure cook the rice and let it cool. Pressure cook in such way that the grains remain separate.
- Par boil the potatoes,peel and cube them.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan and fry the potatoes until they turn golden brown. Remove to a plate.
- In the same pan add 3 more teaspoons oil and temper with cumin seeds. Add ginger and green chillies.
- Add mint leaves and saute till raw smell goes off.
- Add sliced onions and saute till color changes. Add tomatoes and saute till they turn mushy.
- Add turmeric powder,garam masala and salt. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the fried potatoes and mix gently.
- Add the cooked rice and mix gently. Remove from flame
- Serve potato pulao hot with raita.
2. You can add some curd for more tang taste.
3. You can add finely chopped capsicum too.