Rajma masala recipe restaurant style with step by step photos. Sharing one of the most popular indian curry recipe made with kidney beans. punjabi rajma masala is easily one of the most loved curry recipe across the country. Served with stamed rice, rajma chawal is one of the most healthiest and wholesome meal for all.
Rajma recipe is usually prepared in many ways. Here I am sharing restaurant style rajma masala recipe with cream. I have used butter for sauteing the spices and this imparts a rich flavor and taste to this rajma recipe. Also this is a very straight forward and easy rajma masala recipe that you can make at home.
I make rajma masala at home very often as it one easy and healthy curry. Earlier I used to refer Sanjeev Kapoor rajma masala recipe. The one I am sharing today is the way how I make it.
Rajma or red kidney beans is very healthy and this rajma masala recipe is a very brilliant one to consume rajma in your diet. I often make this masala, pulao or salad with rajma but never blogged about the recipes.
It is easy to make rajma masala at home, but I would say we should keep few points in mind to make perfect rajma masala recipe. The ingredients needed for making this dish are fairly simple, day to day spices, onions and tomatoes. To make restaurant style rajma masala recipe, butter and cream are important ingredients.
Tips for making perfect Punjabi rajma masala recipe.
1. It is very important to soak and cook rajma very well. This is the most important step in rajma masala recipe. I always soak rajma for 12 hours and pressure cook for 15-16 whistles. When you press the cooked rajma it should be very soft. So once you think the rajma is cooked do check if it really soft, else add some more water and cook for few more whistles in pressure cooker.
2. The rajma masala should be very smooth and creamy, for this once you pressure cook the rajma reserve the water/stock, adding this to the masala instead of water will help in making creamy smooth gravy. Also the onion tomato masala should be completely cooked and mushy before adding rajma.
This is the best rajma masala recipe at home. Very few simple ingredients and you have the best tasting masala!
Serve rajma masala with steamed rice, jeera pulao, roti etc.
Here is how to make rajma masala recipe with step by step photos.
Restaurant style rajma masala recipe card below:
- 1 cup Rajma / red kidney beans
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger crushed
- 2-3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1-2 green chilies, slit
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- cilantro leaves
- Soak rajma overnight,drain and pressure cook until completely cooked. Drain and reserve the water used for cooking.
- Heat butter in a pan and temper with cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute well till it turns translucent.
- Add crushed ginger garlic and saute till raw smell goes oof. Add slit green chilies and saute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix well. Cook for few minutes.
- Add chili,turmeric, coriander and garam masala powder. Saute and cook till tomato turns mushy butter releases from side.
- Add the cooked and drained rajma and mix well
- Add the reserved stock, ½ cup water and cook for 7-10 minutes. Add salt and mix well.
- Once the gravy is thickened add fresh cream and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cilantro leaves and serve rajma masala hot.
2. Do not cook for long time after adding fresh cream,just simmer for 1-2 minutes.
3. If you feel the rajma is hard, you can slightly mash it using potato masher while cooking.
4. Add water as and when needed, do not add more water the gravy will be separate from rajma and it will not taste good.
Step by step rajma masala recipe
1. Soak rajma in plenty of water for at least 12 hours.
2. Rinse the rajma well. Pressure cook the soaked rajma in enough water for 15-16 whistles. The rajma should be completely cooked. Drain the cooked rajma and reserve the stock.
3. Chop onions and tomatoes finely. Crush ginger garlic and slit the green chilies.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a pan. Add bay leaf and cumin seeds, Saute for few minutes.
5. Add finely chopped onions. Saute well they turn translucent. Add crushed ginger garlic, slit green chilies and saute till the raw smell goes off.
6. Add chopped tomatoes and saute well.
7. Add the spice powders. Mix well and cook for few minutes till butter releases from sides.
8. Add the drained rajma and mix well.
9. Add the reserved stock. If needed add some water. Cook for 7-10 minutes in medium flame. Add salt and mix well. Check the consistency of the gravy now. It should be creamy smooth and slightly thick. If it is watery cook for few more minutes.
10. Add fresh cream and mix well.
11. Add cilantro leaves and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Serve rajma masala hot with rice/rotis.
vegan option for making rajma masala recipe
1. Use oil instead of butter.
2. Leave out fresh cream at last.