Weather is changing very frequently here and that sure shows its impact on our health too 🙁 Sore throat,common cold and cough and sluggishness comes along with rain and a piping hot bowl of soup is the perfect remedy for this 🙂 We love soups of any kind on a gloomy day,be it a special one like this roasted bell pepper soup or a simple mug of milagu rasam (yum any day !). I saw this simple recipe for roasted bell pepper soup in many magazines,tv shows and I wanted to make this for a long time. In fact I bought red bell pepper 2-3 times especially for this roasted bell pepper soup,but ended up using it in fried rice or pizza,but lat time I bought this red bell pepper and I was determined to make this soup next day itself :),also this is the first time I am using olive oil in soups,all these I have been using olive oil only in pizza and some pasta recipes. But lately I came to may soups made with olive oil (especially if the recipe is calling for) are more flavorful and thought giving it a go. I must admit though,while I heated the olive oil and fried the garlic,I was not very comfortable with the flavor (I already don’t like the smell of roasted garlic and olive oil was just adding to it),but once the soup was simmering,the flavor was entirely different actually great:). So if you have olive oil in hand,definitely use in this soup,even if you don’t like olive oil,you will love it in this soup. This is the first time I used roasted bell pepper and I am already loving it for flavor,taste and color. I am looking forward to cook more dishes with roasted pepper. This roasted bell pepper soup is very smooth,mildly spicy and full of bursting flavors,all in all a very comforting bowl on a monsoon day. I served this soup with garlic cheese toast and we enjoyed it to the core 🙂 Hope you will give it a go and tell me 🙂
Some more comforting bowls you might like are
Mixed veggies soup-A very healthy treat for kids
Easy tomato soup-All time favorite!
Lentils and veggies soup– A light meal in itself
Pumpkin shorba-Indian soup!
How to make roasted bell pepper soup-step by step
1. Select a plump and fresh red bell pepper. Roast it directly on the stove top over medium flame turning to all the sides frequently. The bell pepper should get charred uniformly. Remove from flame and allow it cool thoroughly.
2.Heat 3 teaspoons olive oil in a pan and fry the chopped garlic. Next add he chopped onions and fry till translucent. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry till soft.
3. By now,the bell pepper would have been cooled,peel the skin and chop it coarsely.
4. Puree everything together until smooth.
5. Return the same pan to the stove and add the puree to it. Add 2 cups of water and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
6. Add salt,pepper powder and mixed herbs, Simmer for 3-5 more minutes and remove from flame.
7. Serve roasted bell pepper soup hot with croutons,bread sticks or garlic cheese toast.