Sabudana khichdi recipe with step by step photos. Sharing the recipe of sabudana khichdi for fasting as requested by few readers. When I shared the recipe of javvarisi upma ,few readers asked for this khichdi recipe too. Sabudana khichdi is a Maharastrian recipe and it is prepared during fasting days. It is a very simple and quick recipe with very few ingredients. I first tasted sabudana khichdi in my office canteen and I really liked it. I always wonder how a simple recipe even without onion could taste so awesome.
Though I say it is a simple recipe,making perfect sabudana kichdi recipe could be a bit tricky and it does take some trials before arriving at the best sabudana khichdi. Whenever I made this khichdi before I used to soak the tapioca pearls for about 8 hours, this ensured that the sabudana pearls were completely soft but the khichdi was mushy. Then I read many tips on how to make perfect sabudana khichdi recipe on various books and also asked many friends, now I can say I make very tasty non sticky sabudana khichdi recipe. We love this so much that I make this at least once a week for breakfast or a quick snack. I followed sanjeev kapoor’s sabudana khichdi recipe from here loosely
To make sabudana khichdi recipe we need very ingredients. Be sure to select the right ingredients. It is very important to know about the type of sabudana you use for this sabudana khichdi recipe. You can use any kind of tapioca pearl but the soaking time varies accordingly. If you are using big sabudana you may to soak it for 4-5 hours, if using tiny sabudana then it is enough if you soak for just 3 hours. Add water just to cover the sabudana, it will absorb all the water and swell up. To check if it is ready,take 1 or 2 pearls and press between your fingers, the pearls should mash easily.
Here I am sharing the recipe for sabudana khichdi which I follow, I do not claim this is the authentic way of making sabudana khichdi but a very easy and delicious recipe.
How to make sabudana khichdi- step by step sabudana khichdi recipe
1. Measure and rinse sabudana pearls once or twice. Add enough water just to cover the pearls. Let aside for 5-6 hours. Note that water will be absorbed completely and the pearls will turn soften. Still if some water is remaining after 6 hours drain the water completely. Check if the pearls have turned soft by pressing a few between your fingers. once done set aside till you prepare the other things for khichdi.
2. Pressure cook 2 medium sized potatoes. peel and cut into bite size cubes. In the mean time dry roast the peanuts. Then crush the peanuts coarsely with or without skin.
3. Heat a pan and add 3 teaspoons oil. Add the cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add the slit green chilies and saute well. Add the cubed boiled potatoes and mix well. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
4. Add the drained sabudana pearls and mix well. keep the flame low and keep stirring. Add required rock salt.You can add 1 teaspoon oil at this stage if needed. You should keep stirring to avoid the sabudana pearls getting stuck in the bottom.Cook in low flame for 5-6 minutes until the sabudana pearls turn glossy and soft.
5.Once done switch off the flame. Add crushed peanuts and mix gently. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
6.Serve sabudana khichdi hot.
Sabudana khichdi recipe card below:
- 1 cup sabudana pearls
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2-3 green chillies
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup peanuts
- rock salt
- Soak sabudana pearls in water for 6 hours. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a kadai and add cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds crackle add green chillies and saute well.
- Pressure cook potatoes,peel and cube into bite size pieces. Dry roast and crush the peanuts coarsely.
- Add the cubed potatoes and saute well for 5-6 minutes.
- Next add the drained sabudana pearls and mix well. Keep stirring to avoid sticking at the bottom.
- Add rock salt and mix gently. Cook in low flame till the sabudana pearls turn glossy.
- Remove from flame and add crushed peanuts.Add lemon juice,mix and serve sabudana khichdi hot.
2. You have to stir continously while cooking else the pearls will stick to the bottom of the kadai.
3. You can add mustard for tempering and normal salt if not fasting.