Honey chilli potato recipe with step by step photos. Honey chilli potato is a very popular yet easy indo chinese recipe that you can serve as a starter with a drink or even as a side dish for fried rice. Honey chilli potato is a very tasty and one of a kind dish where regular chilli potato is made sweet and spicy by adding honey. Finely a good dose of sesame seeds are added for crunch. I usually make chilli potato recipe when I cook Indo Chinese. Last time I made this honey chilli potato recipe and it was such a hit. We love Indo chinese cuisine and I am always intrested in trying out new recipes.
Honey chilli potati recipe is a mix of deep fried potato wedges tossed in a sweet,spicy,tangy sauce and then coated a with a good amount of sesame seeds for that crunch. In restaurants the potato fingers would be deep fried and msg will added in sauce. I always prefer to shallow fry potatoes in this recipe to use less oil and that definitely does not change the taste. The addition of small amount of honey does the magic here,it adds a deep color and a nice caramel flavor to this dish. I prefer to use white sesame seeds in sesame honey chilli potato recipe.
To make honey chilli potato recipe use big new potatoes. Slice the potatoes into uniform fingers. Here I have shallow fried the potato fingers. If you wish you can deep fry it too. I like to prepare this honey chilli potato completely dry. So I have made the sauce very thick to coat the fried potatoes well. You gotta try this super easy and tasty snack or starter at least once. you will like it for sure.
Serve hone chilli potato as starter with any drink.
Here is how to make honey chilli potato recipe with step by step photos.
If you also love indo chinese recipes as much we do you should check out and try
Step by step honey chilli potato recipe
1. Wash,peel and cut the potatoes into fingers.
2. Bring plenty of water to boil in a large pot. Add the cut potatoes and boil for 3-4 minutes. Drain and wipe gently using a kitchen towel. Do not completely dry the potatoes,let there be some dampness
3. Take maida and cornflour in a mixing bowl. Add salt,pepper powder to it and mix well. Add the potato fingers and toss gently.
4. Heat 2 -3 tablespoons oil in a shallow frying pan and fry the potato fingers until golden brown. Shallow frying until golden brown will take time unlike deep frying. Turn frequently but gently to ensure even frying. remove the fried potatoes fingers to a kitchen towel and set aside for 10 minutes.
5. In the mean time we can prepare the sauce. Heat a wok/pan with 3 teaspoons sesame oil and add ginger,garlic and slit green chillies. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the chopped spring onion whites and give a quick saute. No need to brown the onions.
7. Add the cubed bell peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes in high flame.
8. Add soy sauce,tomato sauce,salt,pepper powder and mix well. Add salt with caution as all the sauces contain salt too.
9. Add honey and mix well.
10. Add the fried potato fingers and toss quickly. Add the toasted sesame seeds and coat well. Serve sesame honey chilli potatoes hot as a snack or side dish for fried rice. You may also serve honey chilli potato as side dish
Sesame honey chilli potatoes recipe card below.
- For potato fingers:
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 tablespoons maida
- 2 teaspoons corn flour
- ½ teaspoon pepper powder
- 3 tablespoons oil for shallow frying
- For sauce:
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons spring onion whites,chopped fine
- 2 green chillies,slit
- ½ teaspoon crushed ginger-garlic
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce OR chilli tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons toasted white sesame seeds
- Pepper powder
- Bring plenty of water to boil in a pot. Peel the potatoes and cut into fingers. Add the potato fingers to the boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain and wipe gently with a kitchen towel.
- Take corn flour and maida in a mixing bowl. Add salt and pepper powder,mix well.
- Add the par boiled potato fingers to the flour mixture,toss and coat well.
- Shallow fry the potato fingers in hot oil until golden brown.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok and saute green chillies,ginger garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spring onion whites and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper cubes and mix well. Add the sauces,salt and pepper powder. Saute for 2--3 minutes.
- Add homey and mix well.
- Add the fried potato fingers and toss well.
- Add the toasted sesame seeds,mix well and serve sesame honey chilli potatoes hot as snack or side dish for rice.
2. Shallow frying takes time,if you want you can deep fry the potatoes.
3. You can add different colored bell peppers too