Small potato fry recipe, sharing an easy and delicious stir fry from Tamil nadu cuisine- chinna urulaikizhangu fry recipe. South indian style small potato fry recipe is an all time favorite side dish to go with sambar,rasam and variety rice. This small potato fry recipe is a frequent fare in every south Indian home.I am yet to meet a person who doesn’t like this potato fry. So easy to make yet it takes some practice to get that crispy crust.The key is to roast it in low flame,stirring gently at regular intervals. There is absolutely no need to use more oil for this small potato fry recipe if you use a well seasoned cast iron pan or non stick pan. In some homes,they use rice flour or corn flour to make crispy roast but I don’t add any. One more point is I often make small potato fry recipe with sesame oil,if you find it weird,may I ask you to try it once with sesame oil and I bet you will never go back to refined oil for this fry :). Yes sesame oil gives a very deep flavor and taste to this roast. I also make many side dish recipes similar to chinna urulaikizhangu fry recipe like kovakai fry, okra fry, baby corn golden fry, potato podi curry, vendakkai varuval, potato carrot roast. Now let us learn how to make small potato fry recipe with this easy recipe.
Also here is the list of most loved potato recipes from the blog
small potato fry recipe below:
- 20 baby potatoes preferably of same size
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Pick same sized baby potatoes and wash them.Pressure cook the potatoes until tey are boiled yet firm.I generally pressure cook for up to 2 whistles
- Once the pressure is released,peel the potatoes and drain the water completely.Pat dry in a kitchen towel.Using a tooth pick or small fork prick each potato in 2-3 places
- Heat a kadai and add 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil.Once the oil is ot temper with mustard,urad and curry leaves.Add asafoetida and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chilli powder,turmeric powder and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now gently add the boiled potatoes and mix gently.Lower the flame and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add salt,remaining oil and mix well.Cook till the potatoes turn golden sauteing every now and then.Once done,remove from flame and serve hot with rice,kuzambu
2.Selecting same sized potatoes elps in even,fast cooking.
3.Adding chilli powder and turmeric powder directly to the oil enhances the flavor greatly.