Coconut rice recipe with step by step photos. Sharing the recipe for how to make coconut rice, a popular south Indian variety rice recipe!
Variety rice recipes like lemon rice, nellikai sadham, mangai sadham are often made at home when we are in short of time or at the non availability of vegetables. Also such variety rices come handy during travel or easy to pack in lunch too.
There are many variations for coconut rice recipe, like Thai coconut rice, here I am sharing a very easy to make south Indian coconut rice recipe, vegan, no onion garlic with full of flavor.
Coconut rice or thengai sadham is specially made on kanu pongal day and also on aadi 18 in some homes.
To make coconut rice, use freshly grated coconut, matured coconut gives great flavor. The tempering made for coconut rice i most important. Mustard seeds, channa dal, urad dal cashew nuts etc are used for tempering the coconut rice. In few places coconut oil is used for tempering but I always prefer sesame oil.
It is not necessary to use basmati rice to make coconut rice. Just use normal rice, but cool the rice thoroughly and make sure grains are separate before adding to the tempering.
Here is how to make tambram style coconut rice recipe, do try out!
If you are looking for more easy rice recipes do check kathrikai sadham, cilantro rice, easy veg fried rice, baby corn fried rice
Coconut rice recipe with step by step photos:
1. Cook and cool the rice thoroughly. Grated and measure the coconut.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a kadai. Temper with mustard seeds. Add channa dal, urad dal, cashew nuts, curry leaves, asafoetida, green chilli and dried red chilli.
3. Add the grated coconut and saute very well. Add salt and mix well.
4. Add the cooked rice and mix gently yet thoroughly. Serve with avial or vadam or appalm.
Coconut rice recipe card below:
Coconut rice recipe, how to make coconut rice | Thengai sadham recipe
coconut rice recipe, Indian style coconut rice recipe with simple ingredients!
- 1 cup cooked and cooled rice
- 1/2 cup grated coconut tightly packed
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- For tempering:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons urad dal
- 2 tablespoons channa dal
- 10 cashews
- 20 curry leaves
- 2 green chillies
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- Pinch of salt
- Cook and cool the rice thoroughly. Grate the coconut and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a kadai and temper with all the ingredients mentioned in "for tempering"
- Add grated coconut,salt and saute very well.
- Add cooked rice and mix well. Adjust salt and serve with any side dish of your choice.
Recipe Notes1. If you plan to pack this in tiffin, saute the coconut really well else it may spoil.
2. You can use coconut oil for tempering.
3. Be sure to fry the urad and channa dal very well. You can soak it in water for 10 minutes if your dal is old or hard.