Tomato chutney recipe with step wise pictures, sharing a special spicy tomato chutney recipe with tamarind. This is a spicy red chutney recipe for dosa , especially this tomato chutney tastes too good with crispy rava dosa. I saw this special tomato chutney recipe in a tv show. This is Ms. Revathi Shanmugam’s recipe for tomato chutney, she made this delicious chutney along with another special recipe nuts rava dosa, I tried out both the next day itself and it was one filling breakfast that I would love to have on any day. The main attraction of this tomato chutney is the fine onion pieces you get to bite and its deep red color. I have used nice plump red tomatoes and kashmiri red chillies to get the color here.
For best tomato chutney recipe you have to use desi tomatoes as they are tangy compared to salad tomatoes. We love tomato chutney compared to coconut chutney so I have often try out various tomato chutney recipe with few changes in ingredients. This tomato chutney recipe I saw in tv show uses dried red chillies and tamarind along with a tempering of onion and garlic. I did not use garlic but added loads of onions. This is a spicy tomato chutney recipe, I have used 6 dried red chillies here and it is quite spicy, you should definitely adjust the number of chillies for a mildly spiced tomato chutney. This is the easy side dish recipe that you can serve with idli, roti along with dosa. You can also use this as spread for bread toast.
The staple breakfast for us is usally idli or dosa so I often make varieties of chutney to make the breakfast interesting,chutneys I often make are onion tomato chutney,tomato ginger chutney,badam chutney,carrot chutney.
Do try out this easy tomato chutney recipe and serve with your favorite breakfast!
step by step tomato chutney recipe with tamarind
1. Grind roughly chopped tomatoes to a smooth paste along with dried red chillies and tamarind.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons sesame oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds and urad dal. Let them crackle.
3. Add curry leaves and saute well.
4. Add the finely chopped onions and garlic cloves if using,saute well till the onion color changes.
5. Now add the pureed tomatoes and mix well. Add salt and mix well. Saute till the tomato puree cooks well.
6. Once the mixture reaches chutney consistency,remove from flame. Serve tomato red chutney with dosa or idli.
Tomato chutney recipe details below:
- to grind:
- 3 large tomatoes
- 3-6 dried red chillies
- 1 small amla sized ball of tamarind
- to temper:
- 8-10 small onions,chopped fine
- 3-4 cloves garlic,optional
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 taspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Grind the ingredients listed under "to grind" to a smooth puree
- Heat oil in a kadai and temper with mustard and urad dal.
- Add curry leaves and saute well.
- Add onions and garlic cloves and saute well till onion color changes.
- Add the tomato puree,salt and cook well till the tomato puree cooks well.
- Remove from flame and serve tomato chutney with idli or dosa
2. Use red chillies as per your preference.
3. you can grind the tomatoes roughly too to get a chunky texture.