Weekly menu ideas with pointers, tips and tricks to ease the cooking. This weekly menu should be the most requested idea/ tip here in this blog. I have received umpteen number of requests for posting a weekly menu. I do plan my meals ahead of time but never thought of sharing here. Planning a weekly menu helps me in many ways. Planning a weekly menu and prepping a bit here and there greatly reduces the cooking an preparation time in the rushed morning hours. First and foremost planning a menu helps in avoiding redundancy. By planning weekly menu you can avoid serving the same main course or side dish in the same week. You can plan for healthy balanced meals with a wide platter of vegetables and fruits. No need to open the fridge and break your head thinking what to cook today 🙂 Just try planning weekly menu ideas one or two weeks and you will love how organized and relaxed you are while in kitchen. In the below table I have mentioned menu ideas for a week. The below menu is basically designed for office goers and school goers. I have mentioned 2 items in lunch purposefully. For example on Monday lunch for kids will be lemon rice and adults will be sambar rice and curd rice. Please use this as guide line and change the items, veggies as per availability and taste. You can shop for all the necessary veggies during the weekend. Make sure you check the pointers I have mentioned for the ease of preparation below the tale.
Weekly menu ideas 1
|Days||Breakfast||Snack 1||lunch||After school snacks||Dinner|
|Monday||Idli, sambar, tomato ginger chutney||fruit chaat||sambar rice, lemon rice, curd rice, okra fry, chips (optional)||Eggless savory french toast||Dosa with sambar|
|Tuesday||Batata poha, banana milkshake, roasted nuts||Dry fruits + cookies||Veg fried rice, curd rice, baby corn fry||beetroot cutlet||Idli with tomato chutney|
|Wednesday||Uthappam, podi, coconut chutney||carrot tomato salad + dates||vathakuzhambu rice, coriander rice, curd rice, cabbage fry||toasted pav + butter||broken wheat upma with veggies|
|Thursday||Poori, peas masala||Moong sprout salad||carrot capsicum fry|
peas masala rice, curd rice, cauliflower fry
|bread cutlet with veggies||homemade pizza|
|Friday||Pongal,vada, udupi sambar||cut fruits, cookies and sev||sambar rice, veg pasta, curd rice, eggplant fry||apple dates milkshake||Rice, rasam, potato fry|
Links to recipes
Tips and tricks, how to execute this menu
1.Soak rice, urad dal and methi seeds for batter. Make enough batter to last for 3 meals. Once the batter is fermented store in fridge and use as required.
2. Soak moong dal for sprouting. By Monday night or Tuesday morning you will sprouts ready for the week. I have mentioned it as Thursday snack but you can add a handful of sprouts in any curry or gravy too. Store the sprouts in a clean dry jar and refrigerate.
3. You can chop veggies and store in separate zip lock bags if you are slow in chopping veggies in the mornings. If you have good food processor you can easily chop the veggies every morning.
4. Grate coconut and store in freezer. Use very clean and dry spoon to take coconut each time. return to freezer immediately.
5. Shell the peas, sweet corn, peel the baby corn etc and store in separate containers.
6. You can even make ginger garlic paste and store. I like to crush fresh ginger garlic in my cooking so I never store the paste. But I peel small onions needed for a week and store it. peeling small onions in the morning is a real daunting task.
7. You can make the chapathi dough the before night
8. Every Sunday I generally save this assorted veggie mix Carrots, beans, baby corns, green peas. I finely chop and mix all the veggies. Keep it in a clean box or zip lock and freeze. This mixed veggies can be used for fried rice, mixed veg pasta, mixed veg curry etc.
9. Make sure to shop for all the fruits, veggies, cheese required for making various recipes.
10. Make cookies for sending in snack box. Make or buy the sev for sending in snack box too.
11. For toasted pav with butter you can make pav at home or buy fresh ones from bakery.
This is my first ever attempt in sharing a planner like this. I hope you find it useful. I am all open for suggestions and pointers for improvements. Let me know if you wish to see a wider variety in menus. If you are looking for a specific recipe as usual let me know through request a recipe page. Thanks!